12 days into it, and 2018 has already been a year of hurt. But I decided on December 31 that 2018 was going to be a year of healing, and here I am on January 12 still proclaiming that.
My motto for this year is “God’s gonna heal that.”
I feel it in my bones/soul/very core that this year is the year of healing from trauma.
Maybe chalk that up to the vulnerability and beauty that is the #MeToo campaign, or inspiring friends who have walked the path before you and are willing to walk it with you, or the wake-up call of broken relationships due to your denial/fear of healing, but whatever the reason, healing is coming.
It’s going to be messy and hard and there’s no perfect way to do it.
I’m going to want to quit, but I luckily have a killer support system of strong women who will push me and challenge me when needed, but also be gentle and patient in other moments.
Despite how it feels, I’m not alone in this.
Millions of people have walked this path before me (as sad as that is).
I am not alone.
Healing is coming.
It’ll hurt, it’ll be hard, it’ll suck so bad.
But it’s coming.
And it’s going to be beautiful and glorious.
Last night I decided to sit down and make a game plan for myself. It’s been quite a week with lots of big decisions being made regarding this healing process, so I decided to set goals for myself and made plans for how I’m going to make this happen, because gosh darn it, I’m going to heal from this in 2018 no matter what it takes!!
My list is pretty simple. Obviously there are bigger action plans, but I wanted to make a list of small, tangible things I can do each day in order to make a difference.
How I’m Going to Heal in 2018:
- Journaling, everyday
- 3 meals + 3 snacks
- Set up regular appointments with your entire treatment team and actually go to them
- Slow mornings & evenings
- Stay out of the dorm for at least two hours everyday (class time not included)
- Intentional friendships
- Have intentional plans to see at least one person everyday
- At least eight hours of sleep
- Cry & feel
- Do art–make things, be creative
- Set boundaries FOR YOURSELF regarding your friendships
- No dating
- Read more
- Write in my planner/cross things off when done/stay on top of things
- Look into different group and other outpatient opportunities
- Get plugged in at college group
- Give yourself grace & time to rest/be alone
- Trust the process
- Stay busy, but not so busy that you’re avoiding
- Focus on yourself & put healing FIRST
- Listen to good music
- Only allow things/people into your life that add to it
And that’s it! Those are my big healing plans for 2018.
So ready +scared + excited + nervous + expectant for this.
God’s gonna heal this!!